Friday, July 24, 2009

Molds are done...now the hard part!

I finally finished all of the molds on Monday (that is assuming they all work, which I think they will)! I was glad to get them done and be finished working with plaster. I spent Monday evening totally cleaning and mopping the space to be rid of plaster bits. The next day I spent half the day driving to get huge rubberbands to strap the molds together (I had been using large office type rubber bands about 1/2 inch thick but...when you stretch those around a mold and one breaks and thwaps you in the face it hurts so I invested in some real heavy duty mold strapping bands, no more welts on my chin or cheeks). It was an interesting trip, the clay center and the surrounding area is a bastion of liberal and progressive politics, Obama stickers everywhere, anti-war and universal health care signs in every yard...when I arrived at Minnesota Ceramics a clay craft and pre-made mold shop (picture a lot of molds of Jesus, gnomes, butterflies and santa clauses) it was like another world; the woman at the counter was actually arguing that Sarah Palin would have been a great president if it had come to that and Obama wasn't even smart enough to present a speech without a video prompter in front of him. Well...what to say, I just bought my rubber bands and left. The rest of that day was spent cleaning half of the molds and strapping them together.

Tuesday I poured scrap slip into the cleaned molds to be sure they were free of plaster, plasticene and excess mold soap (and got my haircut...I think it looks good). I also used the scrap to cast a few extra forms so I could do some initial experimenting on the forms without wasting my good slip. I was sad to learn that Continental Clay was out of my claybody so I will have to wait to make more casting slip until next week.

Wednesday was a disaster, I spent the morning mixing and pouring the good slip into the molds...I had a feeling it was too thick but ignored it because I had measured its specific gravity a few days before and it was good, well I should have followed my gut. Usually after I pour the slip into the molds which in total takes about 30 -45 minutes because I am filling about 10-20 at once, the slip needs to sit in there for 20-40 minutes depending in the size of the mold (meaning I can pour out the first one right after I finish filling the last one) to get the appropriate thickness for the wall of the piece. Well the slip was WAY too thick and wouldn't pour back out of the molds, it was clogging the pour spout and I was trying to dig it out, it was a mess and getting everywhere when I decided to scrap the whole effort. I decided to unmold the pieces so I could reuse the slip but to do this I had to unmold forms that were 1. full of liquid slip 2. not dry or strong enough to really retain said slip. So to get a mental image think of a water balloon totally full of a liquid that is runny but thick and sticky...maybe like motor oil or Caro syrup... now imagine the balloon is made of something more like oh I don't know...totally soft thin clay...now to get back to reality lets say you are a visiting artist who is getting paid to make this work and be a "professional" and just as you are lifting this squashy ball of liquid slip out of a mold, it bursts all over you, your hands and your studio and your ears hear..."and this is Liz Smith she is our McKnight grant recipient..." A tour of 20 people standing in the doorway of my studio space and slip in pouring out between my fingers and down my apron into a pool on my feet as I hold an exploded and deflated cricket body in my hands...yeah... really... that's what happened, sorry I don't have any pictures. Thursday afternoon I fixed my slip following my awesome exhibition of artistic skill and technical prowess (and about twenty minutes of clean up) and spent Thursday and Friday morning casting pieces and putting them together.
Below: Box of balls and flowers
Below: Balls, birds and flowers assembled equals four sculptures. Details follow
Below: Tip - your deflocculated clay mixed with a combination of epsom salts and water equals "slip goop" no scoring and slipping necessary...it seems to be pretty strong so far! If you want the recipe e-mail me.
So I have four objects put together from my good clay and two from the test clay, now the really hard part begins. How to start applying pattern and decoration to these complicated and undulating forms? I started trying to carve a pattern on a test form on Thursday evening...it was a disaster, the "snowball" forms are the simplest of all of my planned sculptures and I couldn't get a straight line when I went over one sphere to the next. Then I borrowed a tip from Kip O'Krongly, the woman here whose work I admire, she uses thin plastic tablecloth to use as cut stencils, they are softer than the paper stencils I use and therefore bend more easily over a curved surface however it still wasn't what I needed, they didn't seem to stick enough to the form to create a clean line. I went home that evening discouraged and sure I would never be able to complete this project with any success. The next day I went to the studio and decided I would just "play" with my second test form and try not to care that what I was making (and what everyone was seeing) was a mess...all of my test ideas on a single piece (I only had this last test piece) it was a monstrosity by the end of the day but I had worked through some ideas regarding how to apply pattern, use the plastic stencils (they are much more adhesive when wet)
Below: Stencil cut from plastic picninc tablecloth (4th of July theme)
Below: Two shots of cutting out a different stencil
Below: Two shots of applying the stencil then coating it with colored slip and following slip trailing the outline of the stenciled pattern (ignore the color choice this is just a test)
and to test slip trailing with a variety of slip mixes and application tools (slip trailing is similiar to squeezing mustard on a hot dog, but with slip instead of mustard, with a much finer tipped squeeze bottle and hopefully with a little more skill and intention).
Below: Stencil, slip, trailing and carving all on a test piece.
So after Friday I felt better but still overwhelmed about how to begin on Saturday when I was going to start on my "real" pieces. The forms are so complicated...how/where to put on color or pattern first? I went home and continued to read a book I have started a couple of times but am really getting into while I'm here. "Ornament: A Modern Perspective" by Robert Trilling and there I found the answer to my question of where to start. He talks about ornament as a mixture of pattern (repeated form and shapes in a structured layout) and motifs (visual imagery often laid over the pattern in a way that sometimes does and sometimes does not follow the general direction of the pattern) it is a mixture of creating control and chaos through layering and design in a way that again may or may not adhere to the form to which the ornament has been applied (think vase, armoir, upholstry)...here I read about what I have been doing all along with my pots. Taking a form that is curved, often with no discernible front or back, breaking it up into segments, applying pattern and then applying motifs. But with this work I want the visual result to be more intense, more overwhelming and complicated. So I have begun by breaking up the spherical forms into sections of color, for whatever reason this makes it much easier for me to "see" where and how to apply more overlapping pattern and from there it will build up and up, layer over layer.
Below: Shots of the three "snowball" pieces and where I will start from tomorrow
Below: A detail of what I am thinking of as one option, carving into the form.
Now tonight I am worrying about the type of patterns I will choose for winter...? I have included one of a number of images here that I am using for inspiration but most of them, as this one is, are created from plant and flower motifs which is not what I want to use for my snowball forms...I don't know...I need to work on it.
Below: Pretend this has been properly footnoted and don't show Prof. Morales my blog! An example of an old wallpaper pattern, I love the overlapping of motif over pattern.
One of the great things about living in this part of Minneapolis is (as I mentioned before) the large Somali population. Many of the Somali women wear traditional dress which is called (I think, a hajib...forgive me if I am mistaken), they are Muslim and many are fully covered in fabric from head to toe...and the fabric!...I would love to ask some of them about the aesthetic that goes into their fabric choices, all I can say is that it can be dazzeling. The women who choose to wear patterned fabric often put together combinations that are outrageously vibrant in color choice and absolutely eye popping in pattern combination. Tonight when I came home there was a group of about ten women walking towards me...I tried to take their picture as a group but it does not do them justice, I did ask one of the women if I could take her picture and she consented...her outfit is a stunning combination. The group was so overwhelming as a mass of moving pattern and color! my eyes were overwhelmed! With this kind of inspiration around me every day I should have no problem completing this project!
Below: The backs of the group of Somali women, you can barely get a sense of the riot of color and pattern.
Below: Look at this beautiful outfit! I love that she is wearing two pieces of green fabric with different patterns (one is over her shoulder) and I think the white ruffle at her feet is a remarkable detail. It should also be noted that the white spots of fabric on her headscarf were actually silver metallic sequins!
I will be going home to Little Rock on Friday until next Tuesday morning...I need to get a lot done before I leave but I am very happy to be able to see Bill and the animals and be home for a bit. So until next week...!

2 comments:

  1. hi there, thank you for your interesting blog and the detailed information.
    i would like to ask you if you have any recommendation for a clay glue recipe...?
    so i could combine two peices of clay made of grains (0.2mm).
    so far i used a mixture of clay, water and vinegar as glue. and i wonder if there is a more effective technique for this need.
    would very much appreciate your reference.
    thank you.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila,

    Sorry my response took so long I haven't been back to this blog in a while.

    The best slip glue is to use deflocculated clay and then add epsom salt to it.


    Slip Goop (Glue)

    This recipe is used to create a connecting slip that can (usually) negate the need for scoring. This is not true however if you have a medium to large (relative to the size of the object you are attaching it to) cantilevered attachment. Trust it usually but not always.

    The slip goop is basically deflocculated slip that has Epsom Salt mixed into it, which reflocculates it. Meaning it has the same shrinkage rate as the casting slip but is simply made thicker through the addition of the flocculant. You will see…it is like magic!

    First: Make a batch of Epsom Salt and water mix by adding 2Tbps of Epsom salt into 1 cup of warm water until it dissolves completely.

    Then Add 1 Tablespoon of the salt mix to 1 cup of your casting slip…mix well and watch .

    ReplyDelete